My friend Elizabeth and I were studying for our biology test one night when we were hungry and wanted to take a quick break. We both had a craving for something sweet so we looked in the pantry but there was nothing appealing. We decided to make a cake, and to make it fun, we made it a rainbow cake. This is a very simple process that doesn’t take any longer than making a normal cake.
- White Cake Mix (get the required ingredients the box says)
- Food coloring (red, yellow, green, blue)
- Measuring cup
- 6 bowls
- 6 spoons
- 2 9-inch round cake pans
- Make the cake batter and separate the batter into six different bowls
- You want the batter in the bowls to be red, orange, yellow, blue, green and purple. To do this use the food coloring. To get orange, mix yellow and red; to get purple mix blue and red.
- Pour the colors separately into one of the cake pans in the order of red, orange, yellow, blue, green and purple. Remember to leave enough batter for the second cake pan.
- Pour the colors separately into the second cake pan in the order of purple, green, blue, yellow, orange and red.
- Put the pans into the oven for the designated amount of time the box says.
- While it is baking put your choice of food coloring in the icing to make this cake even more colorful.
- After you let the cakes cool, ice them and then stack them on top of each other.
Another blog speaks about how they make their version of the rainbow cake. Check it out here.
Like this? Let’s make this complex recipe simple.
To make this simple don’t put food coloring in the icing and only make it a one layer cake. The recipe is already fairly simple so there wouldn’t be much to change.